Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Realization

I watch my feet sink into the mud below it creates a cloud on my toes.
I watch the water's rippling surface of my reflection before picking a foot up and pushing my leg forward.
I must go on.
I do not know what is ahead but I feel drawn as if it is whispering in my ear.
My urge to move grows stronger and I try to walk faster.
I feel as if I am being pushed back,
as if the more I try the harder it gets.
I flinch in a quick jump as I believe to see a shark.
A better look and I find it is only trash.
A sudden realization hits me and I stare at the scene around me.
Cans,
bags,
wrappers, and
scraps of old metal
are floating across the wide river.
Suddenly every way I turn is filled with trash.
I try to hurry back on the path in which I started but like before I am pushed back.
The mud is getting deeper and softer so it collapses beneath my feet.
I cry for help but my face is already sinking into the river and it comes out as only a scarce gurgle.
I am thrashing my arms to keep myself afloat but it is no use.
Water rushes into my mouth, nose, and ears.
Garbage covers my face.
The last thing I see before going under is a small patch of blue sky.
It's surrounded by darkness but still there, even a last shred of hopeless unbelievable hope.
But now I have been flooded and must lay on my bed of garbage.
Maybe that's just where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment